Thursday, February 25, 2010

Amanda's Horror Years-1980

1980 was a great year for horror! There were so many good horror movies released in this year and I cannot possibly get to them all, but I will choose a few and let me know if you want to add anything I have not included.

So, let me start with the best ones first. The Shining was released in this year and it starred Jack Nicholson and Shelley Duvall. It is a classic these days because it was made by the late Stanley Kubrick. There was a great performance by Nicholson and it was an eerie horror movie. Next, John Carpenter released The Fog which is an all time favourite of mine. Jamie Lee Curtis stars in this chilling movie about a strange fog that creeps over a small town. There is something in the fog...Next, Friday The 13th was released in this year and so began a horror franchise which continues to this day. Dario Argento offered us the second part of his Three Mother's movies- Inferno. While this is not my favourite Argento movie, it still rates highly. Prom Night saw Jamie Lee Curtis in another of her scream queen roles. She also starred in Terror Train in this year which wasn't a bad movie either.Motel Hell was released in 1980 and I liked it. Mother's Day was another cult horror released this year.The Changeling was out this year too and it starred George C. Scott.

Cannibal Holocaust terrified and disgusted audiences in 1980. It was controversial and it can still horrify people today. Maniac is about exactly that- some maniac who is killing people in New York City. Another controversial movie was House on The Edge of the Park. It was a disturbing movie. The Children was about kids who were not what they seemed...Macabre was out this year and it was directed by Lamberto Bava. Some other titles which made their way to VHS in 1980 were Beyond Evil,The Boogeyman, He Knows You're Alone and The Hearse.

All in all, 1980 was a great year for the horror fan and some of the movies released in that year are still popular today and some are  just best left forgotten. If you can think of any I might have left out, let me know. I am always looking for new horror titles to watch!! Until next time...

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

1980 was a great year! You can't get much better than the Shining. The Fog was also a good one. Both of them, in my junior high years and new to the slasher genre, scared the pants off of me. I don't remember Terror Train too much, or The Changling, except I like George C Scott. I'll have to see if any of these are floating around Netflix or at Redbox.

Great list Amanda.

Blog Widget by LinkWithin