Sunday, September 20, 2009

Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jnr Versus Juan Manuel Marquez


As I stayed up late to watch this fight, I thought I would do a post about it! This was a boxing match between Floyd "Money" Mayweather Jnr and Juan Manuel Marquez and I have seen Mayweather fight before.He previously flattened Ricky "The Hitman" Hatton and I hoped Marquez was going to give him a better fight.Unfortunately I didn't read the small print and didn't know Marquez was moving up two weight divisions!!! Mayweather won by a unanimous points decision.I'm glad I didn't pay money for this on Pay-Per-View as it was free to air.The commentators raved about Mayweather as he totally outclassed Marquez but all I could think was why wasn't he able to finish him if he is so good.Its all fine just jabbing away picking up points to win the rounds but surely Mayweather should have been able to knock him out.He twisted and turned and threw punches from weird angles but the fight looked like a mismatch. I think this is why people prefer the UFC to boxing as I know I do.

I would love to see a match between the likes of BJ Penn (who is in the UFC) and Mayweather.I could guarantee The Prodigy would win!!! I read on Wikipedia that Mayweather said that any boxer would become a champion in the UFC and that while boxing was an art that the UFC was only a fad.He also is quoted as saying MMA is for beer drinkers.MMA stands for Mixed Martial Arts in case you do not know!! Of course the UFC President Dana White said he would put up 2 million dollars for Mayweather to fight the UFC champion.I always thought Dana was a girls name by the way as I always think of Dana Plato who played Kimberley in Diff'rent Strokes!!!!!! Anyway Mayweather backed down but it shows that he knows he would get beaten.These are quotes taken from Wikipedia so it may not all be true but I'm taking it as truth for now!!

There are too many mismatches in boxing and this is why people are not that interested anymore.In the UFC if you keep losing and are not entertaining then you won't be fighting anymore.Boxing needs to do this as good fights are rare.I have great respect for Marquez in going up 2 divisions and for being very tough but surely there is someone who can at least give Mayweather a fight.Incidentally Triple H from the WWE walked out with Mayweather and he sat with his wife Stephanie McMahon in the audience.I hoped HHH would run in and Pedigree Mayweather to liven up proceedings but alas, he did not!!!!

1 comments:

constant gina said...

congrats to Floyd...staying undefeated after Retirement...now the world is waiting on his major fight next year...

Blog Widget by LinkWithin